We’ve all heard that chocolate is bad for dogs, but what other foods are bad for dogs and other family pets? We’ve put together a quick list of 5 foods that are big NO-NO’s for our beloved household pets.
If you are having any of these in your Easter celebrations, make sure they don’t find their way to the pet food bowl!
- Chocolate BunniesChocolate bunnies are synonymous with Easter, and we all know that chocolate is bad for pets, but exactlywhy is chocolate bad for pets?According to the ASPCA chocolate contains a substances called methylxanthines, which are found in most caffeine related products. When ingested by pets, can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death.
- EggsWe’ve already covered chocolate, but eggs – both plastic and real – can cause a variety of problems for your pets. Broken pieces of plastic eggs can also lead to cuts on your pet’s paws and in their mouth, in addition to intestinal problems when swallowed. Hardboiled eggs aren’t necessarily dangerous to your pet, though they often cause digestive issues (aka egg farts).
- Roasts, Hams, and TablescrapsThere are two main problems to consider with any leftover people-food you may give your pet.The first is the amount of fat it contains, as excessively fatty foods give many pets an upset stomach. Over time, eating too much animal fat can lead to pancreatitis.
The second is the foods that are cooked with that food. Many of the foods that people use for seasoning are toxic to pets, including
- onions and garlic
- wine and beer
- spices, such as pepper and nutmeg
Finally, most people food has a high enough salt content to lead to neurologic problems for pets that eat a large enough quantity. Of course, the amount that will define a “large enough” quantity will vary for each pet based on a number of factors.
- CandyToo much sugar in general is bad for dogs (and not the best for people), but some candies contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is extremely toxic for pets. Sweet for us, sour for pets. Xylitol can have some pretty nasty effects on our pets the most serious being liver failure. Therefore, it is probably best to check the labels before you even consider giving something sweet to your pet. Or better yet, save the sweet stuff all for yourself!
The best way to avoid your pet getting sick from any of these foods is prevention. Make sure all food is stored properly, not left unattended and if you drop something pick it up, because we know how our dogs can be when food finds its way to the floor! However, if you do find yourself in a situation where your pet has ingested something toxic, seek the immediate help of a veterinary professional.
To learn more about the different foods that can harm your pet, check out the ASPCA or The Humane Society of the United States websites.
Happy Easter to all the pets and pet parents out there from Activ4Pets!!!